Image: Takahiko Iimura, 2 mins. 46sec. 16 frames , 1972. Courtesy of the artist and LUX.
As part of our series of events to support artists in making applications to Now & Next, LUX Scotland offered a webinar on the basics of how to put together a budget for a short moving image or audio project.
Now & Next aims to support Scotland-based artists from a wide range of disciplines to make high quality short audio or audio-visual content for BBC platforms, offering the opportunity to widen your networks, gain mentorship and support to develop your ideas and realise them to broadcast standard.
The session was led by Annie Crabtree, LUX Scotland Project Coordinator, and is aimed at people who have little experience of putting together budgets for creative projects, addressing frequently asked questions about the content and formatting of budgets. The webinar ran through examples and general information on budgeting before opening up to questions from participants.
A transcript of the webinar can be downloaded here.
These resources may be helpful for artists applying to Now & Next, and are mentioned during the webinar Q&A:
- Scottish Artists’ Union rates of pay
- Film industry rates of pay
- Musicians Union rates for recording
- Creative Scotland guidance on industry standards
- ArtQuest how to guide on budgets
- ArtQuest information on self employment
- ArtQuest information on tax returns for artists
- Licensing for music use in films
- Scottish Artists’ Union members insurance
- Information on fair dealing and copyright
Find out more about Now & Next and how to apply here.